Perspective on Impact on Economy based on mindset of Established Businesses Vs Startups
I am often asked the question about what is my view on the current economic outlook. At a philosophical level, it’s all about the sentiment. As I understand one of the main reasons for economics slowdown is stagnant private sector investment driven by negative sentiment and news which leads to a vicious cycle, on the other hand, based on my deep engagement with the startups, the Founders of startup, who also operate within the same environment, are optimistic and can create a virtuous cycle. Given the small contribution of startups in the economy, we do not feel a big impact.
While there are very few businesses who have been expanding but on the other hand despite the gloom there is really no slowdown in Start-Ups.
Here is some top of the mind philosophical issues amongst
Established businesses vs Startups:
- Ability to take risk is higher in Startups.
- Linear thinking in businesses Vs Exponential thinking of startups.
- Fear Vs Fearless.
- Past successes and business model of organized businesses may hinder their ability to invest while Startups are open to new insights and business models.
- Next-generation family members not keen to participate in existing biz.
- View of the future as Gloomy by businesses vs Optimism of startups.
- Hunger to grow and live for a purpose.
There is a way to explore convergence amongst the two different streams of businesses to create growth & optimism, while Established businesses may provide experience and capital to startups on the other hand Startups can provide hunger, energy, and optimism.
17 August 2019